Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Why did people sit in the back?

 I am not sure if you realize that today, December 1st marks the 55th year anniversary of Rosa Parks’ arrest.   That's right 55 years ago, Ms. Parks the "mother of the modern day civil rights movement" refused to give up her seat on a bus to a passenger.  Hence there was a bus line boycott lasting 381 days in Montgomery, Alabama. More detail information can be found here:  http://www.rosaparks.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118&Itemid=60

So where are we now as a society?  Is boycotting the answer?   Do you even know the etymology of the word boycott?  Even though you hear boycott used in conjunction with Civil Rights; the word did not derive from the minority community. The word boycott entered the English language during the Irish "Land War" and is derived from the name of Captain Charles Boycott.  To read more see the link regarding Charles Boycott http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Boycott.  Did the generation of the 50's forget to tell their children and grandchildren how to unite and fight for a cause?  What is the next step after the fight is won?  Gosh-I know these may be difficult questions; however questions like the above enable all of us to have true and raw dialogue. 

Now this is the kicker...I am not sure that we long for dialogue like this.  Many wonder why bother if nothing is going to change.  Well I say to you, are you the person that can change it? Who are the community leaders that will push the envelope and keep pushing until the hard work is done?  Tell you what, make your list of leaders and give me their names. I will personally ask them to rally and unite us all.  But now understand 1 thing; it is needless to do any of this if you as a person aren’t willing to do your own share.  Be ready to pull your load.  Are you ready to sit at the front of the bus?  Oh...don't tell me you don't have the time.  You have the time to read at least 1 book to your child.  You have 1 hour to visit an elementary classroom and read.  That's right 1 hour!  I'm not shaking my pointer finger at you.  I'm just not convinced that Rosa Parks would be proud of where we are now.  Even worse, would she have made sacrifices for all of us based on where we are now as a community?  If you can request vacation time to attend CIAA, College Homecomings, Sorority or Fraternity National Conventions, and let's not forget a funeral then you can spare 1 hour to inspire youth.

Spend this time asking what I can do to make a difference, just like Rosa Parks 55 years ago.  We all have a role to play.  Right?   And what's better... what's really better is the ability to find our own footing in this movement.  You know, our role doesn't have to be the same role as the "Leaders of Yesterday".  Did you know even as "street" as JayZ is he donated water to Africa in 2007.  I get his contribution was a while back but it was a contribution.  And don't think I'm a JayZ fan, because I'm not.  But-- I am a fan of giving.  I am a fan of making a difference in society.  I am a fan of being the best that I can be.  And I bet you 10 to 1 that Rosa Parks shared at least one of these qualities.

Nana Says, "If we are to get into heaven we must love everyone.  And no matter how hard it is, most importantly we must even love those that mistreat us.  We must turn the other check."  Well Nana, I understand your wisdom.  I will turn the check.  But, my "check turn" will create a movement.  I promise you it will create a movement for change. Not just change allowing people to sit at the front of the bus.  My change will:
  1. Own the bus company
  2. Regulate  transportation laws
  3. Influence the development of interstates, roadways, highways
  4. Provide positive advertising message viewed while riding the bus
  5. Give seniors free ride vouchers
So tell me...what will you do when you have to start sitting in the back of the bus?  You know, our past can be our future.  Really-it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment